Tuesday, October 23, 2012

People First Language {31 for 21}

According to Wikipedia, my go-to site for all things factual & informative, People First Language is "a form of linguistic prescriptivism in English, aiming to avoid perceived and subconscious dehumanization when discussing people with disabilities, as such forming an aspect of disability etiquette."

Seriously Wikipedia?  Did that read like a foreign language to anyone else?  I much prefer Kathie Snow's definition, "Remember:  a disability descriptor is simply a medical diagnosis;  People First Language respectfully puts the person before the disability."

The concept is actually quite simple.  Always refer to the person first & the disability second.  For example, say "he has Down syndrome" rather than "Down's baby".  Or "she has autism" instead of "autistic child".

As a parent of a child with a disability, I support this movement.  I can say with 100% certainty that I've not used the term "Down's baby" since Reese came along.

That being said, will I bite your head off if you use the wrong terminology around me?  Absolutely not.  Will I even gently correct you if you say "Down's kid" or "Down syndrome child"?  My guess is no.  And for anyone from the Ds community that is silently (or not so silently) chastising me, the reason is very simple.  I don't want my friends or family or strangers in the community to avoid talking about Reese because they're afraid they might inadvertently say the wrong thing.  I don't want them engaging in mental gymnastics searching for the correct terminology every time they speak.  I want them to talk openly & candidly about Reese without fear of being reprimanded, especially if that will allow the world to fully soak up her awesomeness.

I'm not saying I won't step up to the plate for my daughter.  I have kindly asked a physician to refer to Reese as "a baby with Down syndrome" rather than "she's Down's" during one of her many consultations.  In my opinion, medical professionals & educators who serve more than a handful of kids with disabilities should be aware of the movement.  And I will continue to write posts that will hopefully educate & advocate for all individuals with Ds.

This topic was briefly mentioned in the Just the Facts post and my dear friend & pediatric nurse immediately texted me with an apology.  "So...I just read your post for the day & I feel sick.  I never thought about it until now that I always say "a Down's kiddo" instead of acknowledging the kiddo first.  It's terrible & I'm so sorry.  I will definitely be more aware from here on out." 

Although my intent was never to make anyone feel bad (this particular friend absolutely adores Reese), my friend is now more aware.  And just yesterday we were talking about her day at work when she said, "one of my favorite kiddos came in today, a little boy with Down syndrome."  Internally I smiled a crooked smile & thought "we have another convert!"  Great use of People First Language, Linds.  Thanks for unconsciously advocating for our girl just with your simple choice of words.
 




1 comment:

  1. Love this post. So subconscious by most, yet so obvious to those closest to it. Add one more to the list of "what I've learned about Ds from Nikki's posts."
    I've always despised science class... I'm sure copied something off of you back in high school that was science-homework related, but thanks to your blog and other random Google-ing I've done since Reesie was born, I now remember and better understand the make up of my chromosomes vs. Reesies. And just think, it's only been 20 years since I've even thought about Autosomes and Sex Chromosomes. See how smart I sound?
    :)

    ReplyDelete