Monday, October 1, 2012

ABCs of Down Syndrome {31 for 21}

October is National Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  If you're anything like I was barely over a year ago, you had no idea Down syndrome even had a month.  As with any cause that breeds passion & loyalty, the Ds community takes this month very seriously.  And many of us who blog about Ds have committed to raising awareness by posting something Ds-related every day in October.  Some creative soul dubbed this movement "31 for 21" in honor of that extra 21st chromosome our loved ones possess & I've got my writing shoes on.

President Ronald Reagan signing the proclamation in 1984 making
October National Down Syndrome Awareness Month.
 

Thankfully, for my sanity, Reese was born on September 16th of last year.  That meant I only had to wait 15 days before the "31 for 21" crusade was in full force.  I am not exaggerating when I say I spent hours reading blog after blog & shedding tear after tear when I got glimpses into "real life" with Ds.  I read about families who traveled thousands of miles to adopt kiddos with Ds & studied pictures of babies who had undergone the same heart surgery that was in Reese's future.  I watched videos of little girls performing in dance recitals & teenage boys playing basketball for their high school teams. Those blogs were my salvation early on - the best antidepressant money could buy.  And that's why I'm inspired to join the movement & share our experiences with the extra chromosome.  If just one terrified mother or mother-to-be stumbles across this blog & gains just one ounce of hope or acceptance, than it will be worth the missed episodes of Glee or those few extra minutes of sleep. 

Because 31 posts seems a little daunting to me, I decided to organize my effort in a way that makes sense.  Each post will be inspired by a letter of the alphabet.  Throw in 26 letters & a few "Wordless Wednesdays" & you've got yourself 31 entries.  I realize I copped out a little today with the "ABCs of Down Syndrome", but I hope subsequent posts are a little more entertaining.

In the meantime, my inspiration...


3 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous little girl! So glad you're back in the blogosphere!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is adorable! Great idea about the ABCs. I fixed the link for you!

    ReplyDelete