Thursday, October 11, 2012

Inclusion {31 for 21}

When you become a parent of a child with special needs, you're forced to adopt a whole new language.  IFSP, IEP, AVSD & SMO were just a few of the acronyms I found myself memorizing shortly after Reese's birth.  During my fervent researching mode, I noticed one word kept materializing again & again.  Inclusion.  Inclusion this & inclusion that.  I read about inclusion most often within the context of school.  The concept is very simple.  Kids with special needs do better when included in a classroom with their typically-developing peers.  They may require some "push-in" support (another term I've added to my vocabulary) but the goal is to keep our kids in general ed classrooms for as long as possible.

School is not one of our immediate concerns.  Reese will be 13 months old on Tuesday so we have some time before worrying about public education.  But inclusion to me is not exclusive to school.  Inclusion is a way of life for Reese & our family.

From September 2011 to April 2012, we were quite isolated.  We were under a self-imposed quarantine but it had nothing to do with Reese's Ds.  It had everything to do with her heart defect & the absolute need to keep her healthy.  After her heart was repaired & that tenuous post-op course was over, we left the house as often as we could.  We've been guilty of running to Target or Price Chopper when there was absolutely nothing on the list.  At first I was overcompensating for the months of stir-craziness that had accumulated.  But then my reasons for leaving the house on a daily basis changed.  Of course it's beneficial for kids to socialize & be exposed to their environment.  They have to learn how to function outside the comfort & confines of their home.  This applies to Reese as much as it does to Reagan, maybe even more so. 

At first my inclination was to shelter her, protect her from the outdated stereotypes & intolerant folks that were sure to judge.  I wanted to construct a cocoon of family & close friends that would accept Reese without question.  That would gaze into her almond eyes & only see beauty, not disability.  Gradually I realized that if I wanted society to see Reese like I do, then she would have to be an active participant in that society.  And active she is. 

Reese's calendar is packed.  She's way busier than Reagan ever was at her age.  She attends Storytime at the library twice a week, sign language class & Aqua Tot class once a week & we have frequent play dates with my friends from work.  These things are fun for everyone (myself included) but I think they are absolutely necessary for Reese's development & acceptance.  My hope is that when people, both kids & adults, see that Reese is "more alike than different" then she'll be treated that way.  Sure they'll notice her motor & speech delays, but they'll also notice her contagious smile & her genuine enthusiasm for life.  They'll notice how love oozes from her pores & how freely she offers open-mouth kisses.

 Deanna Rose outing - don't they all look thrilled?
 Music, Motion & Sign class - part 1
 Music, Motion & Sign class - part 2
 Mixed feelings about the Shatto Milk tour
 Hanging with dad at Aqua Tots
 One of our daily runs to Target
 Storytime at the library
 Storytime at the library with 3 of her favorite pals
Play date at an open gym.  Reese was intently watching her fearless, often airborne, sister. 

 Sorry, couldn't resist the pigtails...
or the ridiculously beautiful eyes (ok, the kittens are pretty cute too)
 
I guess you can say we are jumping on the inclusion bandwagon & having a rather splendid time along the way.  Here's to changing perceptions one outing at a time!!

1 comment:

  1. I love those almond eyes! Finally, a baby that looks like me haha

    ReplyDelete