Friday, October 19, 2012

Observer {31 for 21}

FYI, this is purely an informational post.  No tears, I promise!

I've said it multiple times in previous posts, but Ben & I knew NOTHING about Ds before Reese was born.  We had no clue about the potential health problems or motor delays or speech issues.  So when I first started researching, needless to say I was a little overwhelmed.  But I found once you find the right resources, the information is very manageable.

And regarding motor issues, we found the right resource in the book Gross Motor Skills in Children with Down Syndrome.   I'll admit, this is not a book I would take on vacation but it explains the issues Reese may likely face as she progresses through her motor milestones.

Obstacles to Gross Motor Development:

1.  Hypotonia, a.k.a. low muscle tone:  Another term used to describe hypotonia is "floppy". I don't really love this term, but this is the word the neonatologist used when describing Reese's overall tone.  I guess it paints a better picture.

 A typical baby is normally more "tucked in" - this was one of the first red flags our nurse noticed when she started suspecting Ds
 
2.  Increased Flexiblity in Joints:  The ligaments holding Reese's bones together have more     slack than usual.  The following pose is one of her favorites.
 
No one call DFS please - she normally does not sit on counters unsupervised
 
3.  Short Arms & Legs:  Kids with Ds typically have short arms & legs relative to the length of their trunks.  This can make sitting & climbing a challenge.  I guess I haven't really noticed this with Reese - she is just really tiny overall. 
 
 I know you've seen this picture before but it best conveys Reese's petiteness.  Her best bud on the left is 7 months younger than Reese & weighed a whopping 4 pounds, 12 ounces at birth.  Now he and his twin brother look like giants next to our girl. 
 
The information I've found most helpful from this book is understanding Reese's temperament & how it relates to mobility.  Kids with Ds usually fall into two basic categories of temperament, Motor Driven & Observer.  Reese is a classic Observer, like to a tee.  For those that know Reese, tell me if this does not hit the nail on the head.  The following info is copied directly from Gross Motor Skills in Children with Down Syndrome.
 
Observers:
  1. like to stay in one position and are content to watch, socialize, and play with toys that are available;  they need to have a reason to move;
  2. are cautious, careful, and easily frightend by new movements and positions;
  3. love to be held and tolerate it for long periods of time;
  4. prefer to move at a slower rate so they can feel balanced and in control;
  5. love stationary positions like sitting and standing;
  6. initially resist crawling, creeping, moving in and out of positions and walking.                       
Ding, Ding, Ding!!!!  What does this mean for Reese?  She will learn to crawl & pull to stand & cruise & walk & climb stairs just like any other typical kid, she will just do so on her own time.  In the meantime, we are able to still enjoy a house free of baby gates. 
 


1 comment:

  1. I am sure this post has touched all the internet viewers, its really
    really fastidious paragraph on building up
    new weblog.
    My webpage ... diets that work fast

    ReplyDelete