Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Just Like You {31 for 21 - Tuesday's Teachings)

"You don't talk about Down syndrome very much."  I've heard this on occasion from friends & family and I'll admit, it's not often a topic of conversation.  When it is discussed, it's usually in response to a specific question regarding Reese's development or health.  I'm not ashamed or embarrassed of Down syndrome - in fact, I'm actually quite fond of that extra chromosome - it's just become very much our normal.  We've lived with it for exactly 745 days & the novelty has worn off.  I have to remind myself that our family is a small percentage of the population & Ds is still unfamiliar to most.  I want that to change. 

October is Down Syndrome Awareness Month.  I participated in the "31 for 21" challenge last year (a blog post each of the 31 days in October to celebrate Trisomy 21) & am committed to participating again this year.

My goal for this challenge is twofold: 
1)  To provide information & insight into our life with Reese so that family, friends & complete strangers have a better understanding of Ds.
2) To provide an honest depiction of life with Ds to any prenatally or newly diagnosed family out there who is still reeling from the unexpected news. 
  
I used an alphabet theme last year to organize my thoughts but decided to go a different route this year (X & Z really threw me for a loop).  I've decided each day of the week will have a different theme.

Monday's Mutterings - my personal thoughts about parenting a child with Ds
Tuesday's Teachings - educational material for kids & adults 
Wordless Wednesdays - cute pictures/videos of Reese & her pals
Thursday's Thoughts - more of my thoughts about parenting a child with Ds
Factual Fridays - facts about Ds, including medical concerns & information on development
Saturday's Stars:  profiles of adults with Ds who are rocking their extra chromosome
Sunday's Stories:  stories/anecdotes/information specific to Reese & our journey with Ds 

I can't think of a better way to kick off this challenge than with a video created by our very own Down Syndrome Guild of KC.  JUST LIKE YOU - DOWN SYNDROME explores the life, hopes, challenges and dreams of three kids living the Down syndrome.  It's being shown in classrooms & churches worldwide.  It's changing perceptions & fostering friendships.  It's the best 14 minutes you'll spend all day.  Enjoy!!





1 comment: